
Meet Abby--our new...whatever...ok--obviously a dog--but what kind?! On superbowl Sunday, Derek had to work at the firestation and they had a little party so we were all invited. And then this random woman shows up and says she has a labrador puppy that she found half starved that she nearly hit with her car. Half starved was true--her ribs were sticking way out and she did nothing but eat non stop for the first week! But labrador? Hmmm....she was so starved I could hardly tell--and I thought cool! Because our other dog, Sarah, is half lab half australian shepherd. And all you hear is great things about labs and kids. But then she started putting on more weight and started to look a LOT like a pitbull!!! Derek grew up with a pitbull and although he was the sweetest dog and great with kids there is no way that I want a pitbull! Below I've attached 3 web pictures of a pitbull puppy and labrador puppy and a mix--what do you think? Post me a comment and let me know. The next thing I've got to do is take her to the vet and see if she's got on of those microchips on her.
These are all 5 month old puppies--about the age I think Abby is
this is a lab:

This is a pit bull puppy:
Yikes! Glad this scary looking dog isn't mine! But really the hair is what is throwing us off because she has very short hair like a pitbull whereas labs have much longer fluffier hair....hmmm...I'd like to keep her though--if I knew she could be a safe dog for my kids and animals.




2 comments:
I suppose she does kinda look like both... I am afraid of Pitbulls. I have heard so many stories... But who knows maybe the lab is a more powerful gene than the pit.... The ears do look more like a pit... Hummm.. I know Pray about it... If God wants you to keep her then you will know.. Talk to you later...
Hey Pauline! I love your blog and want to comment on some of your other wonderful entries but I thought I'd touch on this one first....Pit bulls are actually very kind, loyal dogs. They have really received a bad rap since they have been used in dog fighting. After having volunteered for the Humane Society, I just felt more reinforced that it's all about how you raise them. They need a lot of mental and physical stimulation and lots of love. The more you read up on the breed's care the better. That way you know what her needs are (every breed is different). :) Boundaries with any dog of course is also very necessary. You're a great mommy and have taught your children good boundaries so I have no doubt that you'll know how to teach your dog boundaries. :) Have you heard of Cesar Milan? He has a fantastic book that you can read on dogs. He's a great resource and has years of experience with "difficult" breeds. I think that she's absolutely beautiful. She does look like she could be part pit, however, her domed shaped head could be because she might wind up being a LARGE lab (some big labs just have big giant heads. :)) Of course it is so important to see how she fits in the family. God brought her to you for a reason, I look forward to seeing what it is. :) What are Derek's thoughts? By the way, I just want you to know that I think you're awesome, such a special person Derek chose for his wife. What a lucky man! :)
Post a Comment