My husband moved him next to the other chickens so he could atleast be near his friends...although I wouldn't really call them friends....The rooster wants him dead. We discovered that when we thought it might be fun for the chickens to have a "play date" :)
Here is my husband holding our little cockerel just before he put him in the coop with the other two.
I kept saying, "I don't know...I think they will fight..." and he said, "But they used to live together--and that was only a week ago!" True, true. So we put them in together and WITHIN MINUTES it was a cock fight!! They were flapping their wings and using their feet like swords to stab each other! I'm yelling, "Get him out!" and Derek's yelling, "I see what you mean! I see what you mean!" I'm looking for a long stick to poke them in there (that was the best I could think of!) and Derek's trying to get the poor guy out (all the while not getting pecked!). We managed to do it. Poor little cockerel guy was pretty worked up. He had snot bubbles coming out of his nostrils! I didn't even know chickens had snot...
So we decided to try letting him out once in awhile. But oddly enough--the time we let him out--he just wanted to hang around the chickens! Occasionally the rooster in the coop will flap his wings and charge at him, but the little cockerel guy still hangs around. I was pleasantly surprised that Sarah, our dog, didn't try and bite him or mess with him. But she was very curious. The cat, however, is not to be trusted. Abraham has tried to get the chickens while they were caged up in the coop!
Another lesson learned--if we are going to let the chickens out--it needs to be an hour or so just before dusk because chickens will instinctively return "home" at dusk. For the first two days you have to keep them shut up in their coop so they know where "home" is, but once they know they will always return. Well, we let the cockerel out in the middle of the day--so Derek had to chase him all over the yard to put him back in his cage--wish I had the camera for that one! He finally got him cornered up against the house and was able to grab him. But it took a good 10 min. The rest of us just sat back and watched smiling while we ate our lunch. It was cheap entertainment :)




1 comment:
First time visiting. I will come back and read more but today is like crazy day for me. I would like to raise chickens but our dogs would think they were appetizers. I hope you have a great weekend. Since you said you have a baby I need to tell you I am a great gramma!!
Your friend from the other side of the desert...
Roberta Ann aka Raggedy Girl
Post a Comment