I remember the first few weeks we moved out here. Everything startled me--this land had been uninhabitated for 6+ months so nature had set in. The guy that came to inspect the house to make sure it was structurally sound (before we bought it) said that there was a 2 foot long diamond back rattlesnake living under the house! YIKES. And there were definitely mice living under the house--I saw one when we first moved in. And there were huge toads that would come out at night. They used to live under the house too and when I would come outside at night or early morning they'd scare me half to death because they were huge and they frantically tried to hop under the house. We also had a coyote/fox/wild dog problem. One time standing by the window I saw a coyote run across the property! Literally right in front of my window. Another time I came home to see the cutest little desert fox just sitting there staring at me. Well they wern't so cute when they get into the trash and tear it to peices at night. And we'd find their poop everywhere--gross. And they loved to eat the prickly pears off our cactus. We'd find those everywhere too. But now that we have the dog the problem seems to be solved. She barks a lot (but only at night) so she's probably barking because they come around. So good job Sarah--you are pulling your weight! And good job to Abraham too because this is the first mouse I've seen since we moved in and this one is a dead mouse.
I have this philosophy that if you live at my house, you have to pull your weight because food isn't cheap and I'm not going to pay for a free loader ;) I even put my kids to work! So I'm glad to see my animals are doing their part :) Now I've just got to work on those donkeys and horses--well...I take that back---the donkeys eat the weeds--so really it's just the horse...gotta think of a job for that horse...anyone want to buy a horse? ;) Just kidding, Derek! He would kill me if I sold that horse! Maybe we just need to get a horse drawn carriage and we could ride that instead of a car. Let's do that math--say we're going about 5 or so miles per hour--and town is like 15 miles away...so that would only take us like what-- 3 hours? Hmmm....as long as it wasn't a hot day and we wern't in a hurry...But where would we hitch up the horse--maybe on the bike rack? We'd have to get some sort of lock so people wouldn't steal the horse...Not sure how that would work. And what about the carriage--unhitch it and park it in a parking spot? That would probably work. But that still leaves a problem--what would we do with the horse poop? Quick google search answered that one--horse diapers! I included a picture in case you were having a hard time, as I was, imagining how a horse diaper would work or what it would look like. I don't know what's weirder--the diaper or the lady (guy?) holding the tail and smiling... and just in case--if you were interested in purchasing a "bun bag" (aren't they clever) the website is not too hard to remember: http://www.bunbag.com/




2 comments:
You are too funny cousin! I love your blog! You are so creative. Your life sounds fun and really crazy. I think it was the two foot snake that did me in.
Love you
Steph
AZ is just like here. Snakes, mice, coyotes... How funny.. Our place when we bought it was empty for about 6 months as well. It was scarey....
Thanks for praying for my Dad. He is having some tests done tomorrow and Saturday and then a procedure to check out the whole heart with a cath. on Monday. Then they will probably be sending him to Phoenix to figure out what to do next.. I wish I could be there. I just can't with all the kids. It would add more stress to the whole thing. They aren't use to being around us very often so 5 kids can be a bit overwhelming for sure.
Shiloh is so funny with her glasses. She seems to enjoy wearing them somewhat but can't keep her hands off of them... The eye doctor will do a patch on the good eye next month... Poor girl. She is going to have a hard time dealing with all this. Although the boys want to be "PIRATES" with her. I guess I will have to get them all patches..hahahah..
My favorite goat ANNIE, is sickly. I guess she had hook worms when we got her. I am very sure she isn't pregnant. We had to deworm her with 2 different things and I hope today she gets to feeling better. By next year I will be able to breed her and she will be healthy by then. However the 1/2 breed pygmy is definately pregnant. Her bag is starting to fill a bit with milk and she is very round. I think a couple of weeks. I can't wait...
Well I love reading your blog and the adventures you have. Life is great and you sound so blessed. Talk to you later.
Post a Comment