Monday, February 9, 2009

Chickens! Donkeys! Goats! Oh my!





























So since we have moved in we have acquired a horse, a cat, a dog, 2 donkeys, a dog, and 2 roosters and a chicken! And ALL of them were given to us for FREE! Well--ok--all were free except the chicken and the older rooster--we bought those from our neighbor George (who doesn't speak much english). They are going to make eggs to eat and baby chicks...and they were $15 each--but I looked at it as a terrific investment because a carton of 12 organic free range eggs is easily $4-5 at the store and we go through a carton a week....the younger rooster was free though. At first I couldn't figure out if George was trying to tell me he was a boy or a girl--I kept saying, "Esta mama?" and he'd say, "No, no--esta baby"--Then I got home and realized---oh--he is a BROILER chicken--he threw in a free one for us to eat and kill!!! My goodness! I told that to Derek and asked, "Do you think that you could kill it?!?!" And he very confidantly said yes. Ok....well he's still sitting in the yard! Derek says he is fattening him up. I'll let you know how the chicken dinner goes!
But anyway--Praise the Lord! It has been my dream in the last few years to have a farm and it seems like the Lord is answering that prayer!
P.S. I know the title is Chickens, Donkeys, and Goats--but we don't have goats---not yet atleast--but I hope to soon! Check back in a month!









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You all sound like us. We have 12 acres here in NM. Started out with 2 horses. Now we are up to 4 horses, 5 dogs, 3 goats (2 which are suppose to be pregnant) We got the goats for the milk and one came as a pet... Also have 3 cats. Soon we are getting chickens. I have had chickens in the past and loved them always. The best way to get chickens is as babies. They grow up thinking they are your children. It is great for the kids as well to enjoy and watch them grow. I had so many PETS, and also got the eggs so it worked great. We have 5 children ages 16, 6,5,and twins that are 3. We homeschool and live the simple life. We are a strong christian family with great value's. It is good to hear there are others out there like us. Simple people are few and far between. I hope to hear back from you. I think we might have some things in common. God Bless You and your family.
Joy Sturza

Anonymous said...

I talked to a friend about you. She breeds champion goats & said she'd be glad to help you.
Give me a call or drop a line if you want her number!