Last weekend we drove out to the duck rescue (very far away) and saw more ducks and geese than I ever thought possible! It was like a duck and geese zoo! We ended up taking an Embden Goose (Goose is a girl Gander is a boy) and 4 Pekin ducks--2 ducks (girls), 2 drakes (boys). They were rescued from a lake golf course.
The gander and his gal are fast friends! They ditched the ducks and go everywhere together. She is the one in the pool in the above picture.
Much to my surprise when I went to let them out of their pen (all the animals are caged up at night for their safety)--I found a duck egg! Pekin ducks are good layers (about 175) a year--but I had no idea to expect an egg so soon! I thought it might take awhile for them to adjust to such a dramatic change. The egg is khaki colored and a little longer than a normal egg. Pretty neat!
Pekin ducks are the meat ducks you'd eat at a chinese restaurant. They are extra large ducks. They also produce a desireable down which I've noticed they shed everywhere! I wish I had a way to collect it--I could make a pillow out of it all!
Right now we are working on a pond and experimenting with ways to make it sanitary as well as inexpensive. Will let you know how that turns out.




No comments:
Post a Comment