Thursday, February 18, 2010

Family Craft: Garden Signs




DH has been wanting me to make some garden signs with the kids, so today while I was out watering the garden and the kids were playing (it was the most beautiful perfect day out today) I felt inspired by the broken tile lying around. When we were digging in the garden we found peices of broken tile that the owners had put there which had been buried by the rains over the years.
So we carried in them in (in the process found a huge larva type bug thing underneath one and fed it to the chickens!) and washed them off--then with a little permanent marker and crayons we made the signs! There are a lot more because very soon we will be planting: okra, beans, lima beans, melon, watermelon, basil, cilantro, squash, corn, sunflowers...that's all I can remember for now.
I was so impressed with DD's coloring! She stayed in the lines pretty well for a 3 year old and followed my directions perfectly as what parts were what colors! What a typical first born :) And she even utilized color blending! She colored the lettuce one just like the yugoslavian lettuce we were growing that is green with red and orange highlights! What attention to detail! And to know that some beans are red and some are brown...I was pretty impressed!
But as soon as I handed DS (my 2 year old son) the tile, I told myself in my mind--it does not matter what he colors he colors them or how they look! This is just a fun family craft! And as expected he took artistic license! He started coloring the beet red as I had dictated... then decided that blue was his favorite crayon and colored the beet, kale, and tomato sign all....blue :) But really, I'm glad--because it is so precious to see what is inside his little creative mind.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I love this idea, I might have to steal it from you!