Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Things are sprouting...

SO excited to see vegetables sprouting! It took the whole 10 days (I was starting to get concerned) but things are definitely coming up.
Two unexpected things...
  • weeds--I guess we thought the straw over the beds would elimintate all the weeds but it didn't--there are a ton of these little two leaf things popping up...
  • we are growing STRAW! After that huge rain 3 weeks ago, the straw apparently had seeds in it and is now growing!! I think it is either barley, oats, rye....either of the three I would be glad to grow....I am pulling up quite a few of them though because they are too close to the new veggie sprouts but I am trying to leave some too--for the fun of it :) I have since read that if you use straw you should let it sit out and get rained off for a while and then the majority of the seeds will sprout--other people say who cares--it's green manure in your garden and not at all invasive. And I should say the straw has done a very good job of keeping the soil soft and keeping it very moist underneath.
I am finding I need to wait awhile before I start weeding because although I am zealous to get started--I don't really know what I'm doing--I'm taking some guesses at what I think the seeds are but I probably should just wait because for the past two days I've been thinking a weed is the carrot sprouts--but now that I looked up carrot sprout pictures I realize they look more like a grass coming up....hope I didn't pull any of those out!
I can't tell you how much joy it gives me to go into my garden every day and poke around and see what's growing!

No comments: