Monday, March 1, 2010

Goats, Sheep...and a Geep?!

We've been missing our goats and thought it was probably time to get them back...our wonderfully kind hispanic neighbor, George, was breeding our girls free of charge! He wouldn't accept any payment or alfalfa--nothing! And he has a registered boer buck which can cost a very pretty penny--so we were pretty excited!
So we stopped by today and he was outside working his horse and told us that Ruth had gotten pregnant too! He speaks very little english but we are able to communicate pretty well.
So we walk up to his goat pen (he probably has like 20-30 goats) and there were some cute new pups so we chatted about that--he puts all his puppies in with the goats to start life so they grow up thinking of the goats as their herd.
And then I noticed in the middle of it all was a sheep! This was the first sheep I'd ever seen over here--but it makes sense to keep them all together--sheep and goats are so similar and so closely related--so I asked in broken spanish "Why do you like sheep?" and he told us it was for the "carne" (meat)--and THEN he proceeded to point at the sheep and then point to Ruth! and then he pointed at the boer buck and then pointed at Ester! Basically he was telling us the boer buck bred with Ester and the SHEEP bred with Ruth!!!
DH and I laughed incredulously--I can't believe it--we are going to have a GEEP! When I was in Greece, particularly on the island of Crete, it was common to see geep--they had good meat apparently (I would think that would have to do with the parents whether the goat or sheep was good for meat) and also I heard they were sterile--kind of like a mule. So what then is the point of purposely making a geep?
Leviticus 19:19 says: "you shall keep my statutes. You shall not breed your livestock with another kind of animal." I always wondered if God made that verse because the animals often turn out sterile. It seems like God is very concerned with keeping things the integrity of the animals and also the seeds of the field.
I wouldn't have let my goats breed over there if I knew a male sheep was involved! But oh well--that's sometimes what you get when what you are getting is free! I guess we learned our lesson--next year we will save up and just buy our own buck :)

1 comment:

Ranch wife said...

I have never heard of such a critter as a 'geep'. That is amazing. Can't wait to tell my DH. You have to post pictures!

Have a blessed day.

~M~