Today was our first full blown use of the stanchion--we cut their hooves and tried milking Ruth.
No pictures--sorry--but just imagine this:
Me really frustrated--milking is harder than it looks! And the milk comes out in a tiny stream--all the while Ruth trying to kick me off with her back legs--babies are crying for her which makes her cry back, and then she tries to get off, ends us falling off (back legs) and then the whole stanch topples over!
Goodness!!!
I think I got 1/3 cup of milk. It took QUITE a while. Her teats are still REALLY small because she is a brand new milker. They'll get bigger with use. But I wish I could just really get a handle on her teats but I have to use 4 fingers only (thumb through ring finger).
I have read SO many books and watched SO many milking videos--why does no one prep you for this??? I watched an old Italian guy on youtube walk up to his goat and just milk her standing there--no stanchion! She just stood totally still. (here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRWoZhaYaUo it's cute). D.H. reminded me she needs training and this is JUST our first time. He also reminded me that we'll be laughing about this...some day. Looking forward to that day!
Thursday, March 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
That stinks! I've heard milking is hard. A local farmer that I buy cow's milk from told me that if I ever decided I wanted my own milking animal, to start with a goat. You're making me thing IF that day ever comes that I might want to purchase a veteran milking goat. :-) You'll (both) get it soon I'm sure. Until then, enjoy that 1/3 cup. :-)
Post a Comment