Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Babies and more babies--it must be spring!

It was quite a week for babies!  Ruth had her triplets on Wed, Feb. 23rd, then that Saturday morning our broody hen had her chicks!  She is still sitting on some eggs--they were all laid at different times and as you can see not all the chicks are hers.  Only the little one on the left is hers.  The rest all were from different mommas using the same egg basket.
We bred this momma chicken--she is a cross between a white cochin rooster (bantam) and a full size barred plymouth rock hen. 
Here are the little triplet babies!  The one on the left is the male and the 2 on the right are female.  They are 3/4 boer and 1/4 LaMancha.  I love how the ears keep getting longer each time they are bred!  They will make good milk/meat goats.  The one on the left has his daddy's coloring and the girl on the right got a big brown splotch of daddy and the rest is black--so neat!

Momma Ruth lovin' on the babies....

My sweet girl lovin' on the baby!


And yet another sign that spring is near....flowers are blooming!
Peach blossum (Desert Prince Peach)

Desert Prince Peach

Anna Apple

Next up....Ester has triplets too!  Will post once I take some pictures!

1 comment:

Amelia said...

Sorry...but I would have a HARD time eating those cute babies when they grow up (even though I think goat meat tastes wonderful)! They are soo PRECIOUS!