After having my kids...making the cheese may have been one of the neatest surprises ever--I really wasn't very sure it was going to work. After all, this was goat milk and people keep talking about it like it is subpar to cow's milk. But--everything I've attempted with cow's milk recipes has worked--so like I said--I have been very pleasantly surprised!
I added the rennet (thanks Jodi!--still the same bottle you bought me a year ago!) and it immediately started curdling! SO cool!
I had a gallon of raw milk and it made about 10 oz of mozzarella. Not that much but that seems to be the way when making butter (lots of buttermilk left) and cheese (lots of whey left).
So I went on the internet to figure out if there was anything to do with the whey...and was yet again pleasantly surprised to see that true Ricotta comes from the leftover whey! Ricotta apparently means twice cooked? So I heated up the Ricotta to 200 degrees (I don't know if there is a way to make that raw--I think not since it didn't even start curdling until 190 degrees) and it made about a cup of Ricotta.
Both are delicious! Must be why lasagna uses Ricotta and Mozzarella--they are a good combination since you make them together!
So now I'm still left with LOTS of whey. Not sure what to do with it now. Probably will use it to water some plants :)
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Doesn't Weston Price foundation have suggestions for using whey? You might check online. ;)
Post a Comment