Wednesday, January 19, 2011

They arrived!

Our bare root trees arrived yesterday!  I unpacked them from their boxes and delightfully started checking to see what we got matched with the order--hurray it did!  No glitches :)  Then I read the instructions that say "plant immediately".  What?!  They arrived at 2:30pm and so we took the instructions quite literally (well I did--my husband was just taking my word for it) and we busted our tails to plant FIFTEEN trees!  I told him, "If we pull this off we'll have to change our last name to 'Amazing'."  Well--I guess just call me Mrs. Amazing because we planted the last cherry with the last light of the sunset and watered them under the full moon light!  Praying they'll grow!  I PASSED out exhausted at 8:30pm last night!  Dead to the world!  Every muscle in my body ached.  I asked my husband, "Are you SO worn out too?!"  And he says, "Nah--you were doing all the hard work--I was actually feeling like a loaf!"  HAHAHAHA!  Oh well--he works out all the time and I certainly don't--I'm sure it was good for me.  Plus he dug all the holes a couple weeks ago and that was HARD work!  We have a layer of soil called "caliche" (kuh-lee-chee) or "lime" that is white and so hard to penetrate.  DH had to dig through that so props to him!

Here's my strong man digging a hole:

 Here's the lil guy using the 20+ pound breaker bar to dig up that caliche!

A pecan!  YAY!  Pray that it grows BIG and tall and gives us lots and lots of pecans!  It has the potential to be up to 60 feet!  This one was a big'un!  In the ground it gets even bigger, the root was 4" in diameter!  It was like planting a big log!  None of the other trees were like that.

If you ever want to plant bare root I highly reccomend groworganic.com--their prices were the best, shipping was cheap--each tree averaged around $22 with shipping.  Home Depot sells bare root for $15 but they are really thin sticks.  Each of these was a 3/4" caliper--some 5/6" (really fat trunks) which means they are 2-3 years old.  We may get fruit in just a couple years.  We'll see!

1 comment:

OrganicMama said...

You'll have to post pics of your growing orchard, Pauline~!! :)