Friday, May 22, 2009

Finally! The chickens went home!

Home that is...to their coop! They had been resisting and resisting--and there was one production red who went in to the coop every night (she is now my favorite...although...there are two of them and I don't know which one is which during the day!) All the rest of them would perch all over the place. So every night I'd have to go capture them one by one. The last few nights if I would go out there just as they were starting to find perches and if I got 3 or 4 in the coop the rest would start to follow--so that made me happy and saved time.
Now as for tonight, I don't know if it is the rain or what, but they ALL walked into the coop all by themselves! Hurray! I guess persistence paid off!
As for the turkeys--the hen is still light enough that she can fly some and she has chosen her spot on the horses fence under the over hang. The other turkey, whom I think to be the tom, is so heavy he can't fly and so I still kind of have to usher him into the coop. Isn't that so sad that man can mess with the genetics of an animal so that he can no longer mate or fly on his own?! Oh well--at least he'll be big for thanksgiving.
Praise God for the rain! The weather was beautiful! It went from 100 degrees to what feels like 70! I hope this will be a real rainy summer. It has been a very long time since it rained last. I know this because I have to water my plants every day...except when it rains! and I have been watering for many days now!
One last side note--it's bedtime and 2 of my 3 kids are fussing and I don't even hear it--that is until I decided to notice it! The funny thing is having more children doesn't actually get harder...really it just gets easier because everything becomes old hat. And my kids help out a lot too so there is less work for me. I don't even think my 3 yr old daughter is going to let me feed my baby when it comes time! lol! People think having kids are such a burden--I don't get that--I think of it as free labor! (*of course I love my children! but I used to live in a neighborhood with an HOA and I remember one house was over run with weeds and you'd see the mom out there on her hands and knees pulling weeds and her son playing basketball--shooting hoops in the driveway...some things I just don't get...my kids are going to be well acquainted with hard work and they will know the value of a dollar--call me old fashioned I guess! but if I'm old fashioned I'm ok with that because people's kids behaved way better back then...)
....the 3 yr old is still fussing...she's trying to get me to come in there and put her blanket on and she has now resorted to "Mommy dear! Mommy dear!" to try and persuade me to come in there...lol--too funny.
So that's the end of my random thoughts! God bless and good night!

2 comments:

Amelia said...

I love reading about your adventures and so appreciate your perspective on parenthood. I'm so glad to hear that it gets easier with each kid. I don't think it's that hard now, but some people (like you said) are so negative about subsequent children. Refreshing to hear what you have to say!

Brooke said...

I was nodding in agreement while reading your post. Since we currently, and possibly permanently, have 5 kids (we are foster parents), chores now take much less time! Of course, the house stays disheveled a good deal of the time, but when it is time to clean we can knock it out in an hour and a half and it sparkles from top to bottom. The kids always grumble a little at first, but we all work together and it ends up actually being kind of fun. Pulling weeds in the back yard is the same way. And you'd be surprised what a kid will tell you when you're sitting on the ground in the sunshine pulling weeds together! I'm sure that if I were solely responsible for all of the household chores while everyone else just watched, my perspective of children and family might be that they are burdens. That children provide free or cheap household labor frees you up to love them even more! It is obvious that you love your children and they are lucky to have you!
Brooke