Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Blisters! All in a hard days work...

Today was an eventful day. I worked hard outside and got blisters on my hands. At nap time I was out like a light. I was tilling the soil with this cultivator that you stand and twist it. There are four prongs that go into the ground and you twist up the soil. Today I worked on the front and backyard. I'm twisting up the soil to plant bermuda grass (for the horse and the kids) and also to plant flowers in the front. Eventually I'll have to do the garden. All combined that is a very large area. I feel like I barely made a dent. I wanted to buy the expensive $200 one from Home Depot that is gas powered but DH said, "No look here is this $9 one at Big Lots and you get the added bonus of free exercise." So here I am twisting away. I said it had 4 prongs right? It's because the fifth middle one broke off--that's how hard the ground is out here! I guess you get what you pay for! DH said he didn't like the fifth middle prong in there anyway so really it was an improvement. So I'm watering (so the ground isn't so hard), then twisting, and then pulling the weeds out and throwing them into a bucket for composting. Next I'll have to put the manure/compost mix all over it and plant the seeds and water.
Funny thing about the compost--I'm getting all these interesting occurences. I've read a lot about composting and troubleshooting with your compost pile but all my troubles must be fairly unique because no books talk about them!
I know I've done a good job because my compost doesn't smell (bad compost piles smell), and I've followed the rules about adding the right kinds of kitchen scraps (no meat--attracts animals)--but what do you do when your dog is an omnivore? My dog LOVES bananas, cantalope, watermelon--you name it. She eats the horse pellets (which are mainly grass and alfalfa with some mollasses), she eats the chicken feed (which is grain), and she eats the grain I give the goats (that also has a lot of corn in it). She's a funny dog--so she must think that compost heap is a special treasure just for her. I bury the scraps so she can dig them up....
And then there was also maggots. Yeah--I know it's gross--but there is horse manure and kitchen scraps in there--makes sense the flies would want to lay their eggs in there I guess. But I couldn't find anything in the books about what to do about that. I know a lot of people pay money to buy earth worms to put in their compost piles to aereate and eat the soil...so I guess maybe the maggots did the same thing? Not too sure but they are gone now. Between the dog and the flies, oh and the rabbits, my compost pile has shrunk 50%! I don't know if that's normal. It is looking really good though. Very composed--or is that de-composed?
And then a really interesting thing today--my compost pile started sprouting! After a good all day long rain, I noticed my pile is sprouting bermuda grass and some sort of fruit (or vegetable!) There is bermuda grass all over it! I could just turn it into the pile with a shovel and incorporate it into the compost. Or let it grow and I'll have this grass hill! I wonder where that grass came from--could it really be from the horse manure? That is what hay is--bermuda grass--we feed her either hay or pellets and both contain bermuda grass. That is just too bizarre!
And the little fruit sprout could be a watermelon, or cantelope, or a tomato--I have no idea what they look like as little sprouts but I know we've been eating all those things. I guess it could even be a orange or a grapefruit! Only time will tell! Atleast I know my compost pile is fertile and good for growing things!

3 comments:

The Raggedy Girl said...

Wow Pauline:

You have been busy. Take care of your hands.

Have a Wonderful Wednesday
from Roberta Anne--The Raggedy Girl

Unknown said...

hilarious about your dog! :O)
A few things I learned about composting...
1. don't throw weeds in it because they can reseed in your garden later.
2. be sure NOT to put it near your house. a friend of mine did this and caught her house on fire - because the internal heat of the pile combusted.
Sounds like you're doing a great job, Pauline! What a great mom/homemaker/woman. Keep up the good work!!

Unknown said...

p.s. - robert's quote is from me!
Monna