Monday, October 5, 2009

Thank you, Barbara, for your O's!

So we are kind of a health nut family--mainly because it is the only way I know how to keep my children from getting sick (apart from fervent prayer). We literally NEVER get sick. And if we start to get a sniffle or a headache or tummy ache we can always point to whatever it was. "Oh we skipped that nap, shouldn't have done that..." "stayed up too late..." "shouldn't have eaten this or that.."
So my 4 biggies when it comes to food are absolutely no refined white sugar, no white flour, and no MSG, no hydrogenated oils. So with that said, I end up making most things from scratch and it is very hard to eat out. But it works and we all feel really good about it. We all love eating healthy--even the kids are on board. My kids were raised with it, but the twins joined in after a little persuasion :) and now their mom is even eating super healthy--all on her own accord! And since her body is used to eating healthy--when she eats her old diet she feels it and is so thankful for a new way of eating! That's just how we feel too :)
So with all that said, baby #3 has thrown me for a loop! She is 10 months old and weighs 13 pounds!!! I can see her skinny little ribs, it's awful to look at. She is off the charts. She'd be in like the 1 percentile or less. My past 2 kids were all little chunkers--#2 was born 10 lb 6 oz! (his labor was actually not too bad!) And even on the healthy diet the kids always had plenty of baby fat to make a mom smile :) However, this little one doesn't want to eat ANYTHING! All I could finally get her to eat at 9 months was some cheese. So that's what she'd eat all the time. I hated it because I really don't think animals products should be eaten more than 1 to 3 times a week. They have no fiber and can really clog you up. The only thing that can't be replaced in them is vitamin B-12 and that is easily obtained by eating some sort of meat/dairy once a week (according to Dr. Sears, our previous pediatrician when we lived in CA). So now she's eating but she has stopped pooping! Great...babies should poop after every meal. At least twice a day. Too not poop at all is not good. If it were me I'd cut out all animal products and increase fiber until bowel movements are normal again...but with the baby--cheese is all I've got!
So baby is eating next to nothing, not pooping, seriously concerned about her weight (she is still nursing all the time so that is a comfort), and it's next to impossible to find baby finger foods that aren't junk (aka loaded with food dyes, preservatives, white flour, and sugar). Our of desperation I'm about to throw up my hands and buy Cheerios (which is junk in my classification--white flour and sugar), when I discover Barbara's Organic Breakfast O's!!! A cereal that looks just like Cheerios, but is 100% whole grain (oat --not wheat so there is no gluten concern), sweetened with fruit juice not sugar! Tastes great (and it better for $5 a box!) and after a little training--baby #3 is hooked! She is an O's fanatic! Give her a bowl and she goes to town! Praise God! And the interest in this food has sparked more interest in other foods, namely whatever is on my plate. She still won't swallow anything pureed, no baby foods for her, but tonight at dinner we had roasted bison (that's right--buffalo roasts were on sale at Sprouts--thought we'd give it a try! Very yummy!) with carrots and potatoes. She ate lots of carrots and potatoes and a tiny bit of meat. And in conjunction with all the whole grain she got in the O's I think we had a pretty well rounded day!
(#3 is now fattening up nicely and doing well--thank you, Barbara, for your O's!)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi.
I just found your blog, and have been reading back.

Really respect what you are doing!!

It's what I want to do, and am working towards doing.

I wanted to comment on this post, because I went through this problem with my first born.

He wouldn't gain weight. And he was quite often sick, with ear infections, and had eczema.
I am like you, and do not feed my kids sugar, or any "fake" food.

Turns out, my son had celiac disease, which I and, it turns out, my other three kids, also have.

He is also allergic to corn and dairy, two other genetically modified foods.

I am writing this just to let you know that your baby may have other allergies that are bothering her, as I would have appreciated the info when my son was young.


God Bless.